When the season starts to change, so does our mood with the shortened days of sunlight. We don’t know about y’all, but the sun setting around 4:30 pm can be like an instant buzz kill to your state of feeling good. It’s easy to fall into sort of a “season” of depression when the clocks fall back. Some of us go into hibernation mode burying ourselves into social media or browsing endless hours on the web until we’re bored out of our minds. Some of us end up being couch potatoes, ordering post mates while binge watching every single season of Friends. Which okay, maybe the latter sounds not so bad. But who wants to spend all of their days bored and glued to the sofa, stuck indoors if you’re not nursing a hangover? Not us. How do you defeat the “dark” times, aka day light savings and save your good mood? We’ve got 15 instant mood boosters we rely on in our daily lives to help avoid the winter blues. Read them below!
- Put on a “feel good” song – a song that makes you instantly smile or want to dance or tap along too
- Cook something or treat yourself to something you love to eat – for us it’s Oreos or a freshly baked doughnut! Yum! Of course everything in moderation
- Exercise – exercising releases a chemical called endorphins which produce positive feelings. It’s the sense of accomplishment that improves your mood!
- Do something you love – creating something or having a hobby you love can bring instant happiness. Reading. Painting. Scrapbooking, baking, photography, sports etc
- Spend time with people you love – this could be your family. Best friends.
- Pet your dog or cat – Pets are instant mood boosters. You can’t tell us that seeing your pup or cat doesn’t put a smile on your face as they’re always happy to see you! Don’t have a pet. Volunteer at a shelter if you can!
- Sip on a hot cup of tea or coffee – a warm caffeinated beverage can perk anyone right up. No pun intended
- Laugh – Whether that’s watching something funny like a movie or youtube video clips (we love carpool karaoke with James Corbin or This is Sportscenter Commercials) OR just reminiscing on fun memories with people you love like your bros, best girlfriends or family
- Take a relaxing shower or bath – Nothing like bathing in hot water to always makes you feel calm and relaxed!
- 10.Go out dancing – we personally love going out dancing. There’s something about just being with friends, enjoying the night listening to music and just letting loose and having a good time!
- Phone call a friend or loved one you haven’t talked to in a while just to catch up!
- 12.Do some yoga, stretching or meditation – Not only will your body feel good, but you’ll feel better mentally!
- 13.Get off social media – We spend so much time on our phones throughout the day so step away from your technological devices. Take a walk or go for a run and get some fresh air! Being outside around nature is so refreshing!
- 14.Take a break – nap for 30 mins or you can or take a 10 min break to just be still and take in a moment to yourself. If you’re in the middle of a task, pause what you’re doing and take a few deep breaths and resume. Having oxygen flow to your mind and body instantly relaxes you and makes you feel better.
- 15.Write – journal your thoughts. Write down what you’re grateful or thankful for. Remember all the positive things that you have in your life. Even if things seem negative, you can always find a positive in any situation no matter how big or small. Counting your blessings, having gratitude and feeling it is one of the best instant mood boosters!
Share with us some of your tips that help you beat the winter blues! When talking about having gratitude and practicing gratefulness, we recommend a copy of the book titled The Magic by Rhonda Byrne on Amazon! With 28 days of practices, her book teaches you the meaning of gratitude and how to really feel it in your every day life! While you’re there, add Fit for Flight to your check out cart for more tips and tricks for health and fitness you can use daily when you travel! Go Live. Stay Fit!